- The paper mill was established in 1955 with a total investment of about 32 million rupees and it was commissioned for commercial operation in 1956.
- In 1958 it was renamed and at that time this paper mill was considered as the biggest factory in the Eastern province.
- During the period of 1970’s, the mill had around 3,000 employees.
- In 1976 it become a state-owned facility and was run as a state venture.
After the defeat of LTTE, the Mahinda Rajapaksa government started the mill again only to continue as a very low profile operation producing recycled paper by using waste paper collected from government ministries.
At one time there was a stock of 800 metric tons of waste paper to be used for paper production.
The critical problem that crippled the mill was the export of 8,000 metric tons of waste paper to India creating a shortage of raw material.
Today, under the new government’s guidance an overseas investor is sought to operate the paper mill at its fullest capacity and potential.
OSL readers are hereby called to register with OSL to find out about the total scope of investment and about the incentives offered by the government of Sri Lanka to start the paper mill again.
Just talk to the biz-friendly OSL Team to learn more in this rare opportunity.
|OPPORTUNITY CODE :||VBS/OP/16052016/X-1|