LRT system by JICA
• Sri Lanka government to obtain JICA assistance to set up light rail transit system in capital city.
• The proposed system will be constructed covering the Colombo Fort – Kollupitiya – Bambalapitiya – Union Place Maradana route and Borella -Malabe route.
• The most suitable solution to present transport demand of the Megapolis region is identified as the Light Train Transit and accordingly 7 routes have been identified in this regard.
• Western Province (WP) also identified as Western Region (WR) in Sri Lanka is the main
economic hub of the country as its share of the country’s GDP is nearly 42% (3643.2 Billion
Rupees out of 8674.2 Billion Rupees in 2013)2 and nearly 60% attributed to the service sector
and more than 30% to the industry sector. It also has recorded the highest per capita income
of Rs. 372,814 (approx. USD 2,922) in 2012.
• It has three administrative districts; Colombo, Gampaha and Kalutara and 33 divisional secretariat divisions. Colombo district accounts for the highest urban population in Sri Lanka with 54.6% while Gampaha and Kalutara account for14.6% and 10.6% respectively.
• The population of Western Region was 5.8 million in 2012 spread over a 3,684 sq.km of land area. It is estimated that the total population of the Region will increase to 7.8 million by 2025 with the development anticipated under the Megapolis Structure Plan and it is projected to further increase to 9.1 million in year 2035, with the planned economic growth targets.
• This development would further increase the transport demand. As the nation’s busiest international seaport and airport are located within the area, and expansion of such facilities are also in the pipeline, introduction of structural changes to the transport system is of paramount importance to make the metropolitan area a modern, liveable, environment and investor friendly area.
Sri Lanka’s Cabinet of Ministers has given the government approval to obtain the assistance of Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) to construct a light rail transit system in the capital city of Colombo.
The Western Region Megapolis Plans have given its priority for solving transport issues in the region and it has identified that improvement of public transport modes, development of road infrastructure, management of transport demand and environmentally sustainable transportation is crucial in this regard.
The proposal made by Minister of Megapolis and Western Development Patali Champika Ranawaka, to obtain the assistance of JICA to conduct its feasibility Report and immediately commence the construction of the light rail transit system was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
OSL is looking for a Japanese partner to bid for the LRT system and interested parties could talk to the biz-friendly OSL Team to learn more on the scope and the way forward now.
|OPPORTUNITY CODE :||VBS/OP/05072016/X-1|